Friday, April 11, 2014

DIY: IKEA Bookshelves

If you have ever typed "nursery bookshelves" in your Pinterest search box, you have most likely come across the IKEA Bookshelf Tutorial! With limited space in Charlotte's nursery and knowing that she wouldn't be a total bookworm before the age of 1 when we leave Hawaii, I opted for a more temporary book storage than a full blown bookcase! My goal was to create a "reading corner" for her! 

So, I went to IKEA.com since we don't have an IKEA on the island and added 4 BEVKAM spice racks to my cart. Total cost? $15.00! What a deal! Then, I added in my shipping and billing info and my total was up to $75.00! What?!?! $60 for shipping for something that weighs 2 lbs. each?! Of course it was the middle of the night in Florida, so I sent an email to my mom, sister and mother in law begging them to make the trip to IKEA and bring them out to me in their suitcase when they visited! Thankfully my mom was going to be in the area, so she went to the crazy world of IKEA to get me the bookshelves! 

While my mom was here we did some touch up painting on Charlotte's closet and doors, so meanwhile I painted the bookshelves! 

The shelves come unfinished, but you can easily spray paint or paint with a white semi-gloss paint! It took about 3 coats to look good! 
The finished product! 

I am really happy with how the project turned out! The shelves were quite a pain to hang (sorry, Kyle) because they did not provide hardware to attach to the wall and the hooks were an awkward size. We still have 1 shelf left that I may use to store diapers, powder, etc!

Total Cost: 
$15.00 for 4 shelves 
$22.00 for 1 gallon of white semi-gloss
=$37.00 
That's less than the cost of one ledge from Pottery Barn Kids! 

No comments :

Post a Comment