Wednesday, August 27, 2014

DIY: Bow and Headband Holder


When we found out we were having a little girl, I would be lying if I didn't say that one of the first things that came to my mind were BOWS! I mean who doesn't love a baby with a coordinating outfit, bow and shoes? Thanks to Etsy, there is no shortage of adorable bows available to purchase!! Throughout my pregnancy, I searched for a bow and headband holder that would coordinate with Charlotte's room and be functional. I never really found anything I loved, so I decided a DIY project was in store!

You have probably heard me rant about Hawaii and its lack of "normal" (or as we like to call it here "mainland" things). We don't have Hobby Lobby, Michael's or Jo-Ann's! But, we have Ben Frabklin Crafts. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, but the selection doesn't compare and it is super pricy and they rarely have coupons. I recently discovered that Hickam Air Force Base has an arts and craft store. I initially wrote it off because I didn't think it was possible for the store to have anything, but boy was I wrong! 

My mom and I ventured there yesterday and wow, it was awesome! The store is small, but still had everything we needed and of course, the prices were great! 

So, that brings me to my DIY project! Here is what you will need:

Picture Frame (preferably 8x10 or larger, I used 11x14)
6-8 small C Hooks ( found at hardware store)
1 spool of ribbon 
hot glue gun 
Embellishments (optional) 


Remove glass and matting and push back metal holders so they are not exposed.

Depending on your size frame, measure out where you want your ribbons. This will vary depending on the different size bows that you have. 


Glue ribbons to the back of the frame. Make sure to make the ribbons tight so they don't droop. 


Next,  line up the hooks (they only had gold at HD, but you can paint them to match your frame)

Then drill the holes for the C hooks (maybe your husband can help! :)

Glue on any embellishments to complete the project!

Add your bows and headbands! How cute is this? 

Total Cost of Project:
Frame-$11.99
C-Hooks- $2.17 (for two 4 packs) 
Ribbon- $3.25 
Flower Accent-$6.00

$23.41 

When compared to Etsy, a similar product would be upwards of $30 plus shipping! You could definitely do this project for even cheaper with a more basic frame or one from Goodwill that you repurpose and paint. But, I have multiple mirrored frames in her room and it really completed the look! 

Happy Crafting!



No comments :

Post a Comment