Saturday, March 17, 2018

Hux Ashton Chance

The morning after he was born, we finally took a decent photo. Boy do we look exhausted! 
Wow, it is almost 2 weeks after Hux was born and I am just opening my laptop to attempt to write this post. I don't even know where to start, but I will and hopefully it won't be too long, but you may want to grab some drinks or snacks. :) Edit: it has now been over a month and I FINALLY finishing this post! Oh and here is Charlotte's birth story, which is a drastically different story!

We had a regular OB check on Tuesday, February 13th. I went to MOPS that morning, got my car washed, did a little work and then met Kyle at my doctor's office. I had plans to meet my broker to grab a check and then drive to Toro Park to show a house, but Hux and my doctor had other plans. They took my blood pressure and it was a little high and within the range of pre-eclampsia range (140/90-- I don't think I'll ever forget these numbers). I also was having weekly ultrasounds to monitor my amniotic fluid. Normal range is 5-25, and mine was reading at 26, which is considered polyhydramnios. I was super relived when  I had the ultrasound to know that my fluid level had gone done to 22. Awesome! I was in the clear! I went into the exam room and my doctor drops the bomb that I need to go to the hospital for blood work and for a NST. Um, what? No, I have a house to show and I have bunco tonight. This can't be happening. I really was in shock. He assured me it was just for monitoring and if all checked out, I could go home.

So, Kyle and I drove together to the hospital. On the way there, I couldn't believe that this may be IT! When we arrived to the hospital, I was a little panicky. The nurses were slow to react to us because we weren't an emergency. They got us settled into a room and started monitoring my blood pressure every 10 minutes. Of course, I was super nervous so it was super high. The nurse covered up the monitor so I couldn't see the numbers and I just tried to relax. They took a urine sample and also drew blood (my favorite). Little did I know that I would have blood draws EVERY 6 hours for the next week. Hence the bruises ALL OVER my arms. My labs came back with protein in my urine and my blood pressure continued to be high. Kyle went home to gather our bags (which were not packed) and pick Charlotte up from school. Meanwhile my doctor came to the hospital and gave me the news, I would not be leaving and it was time to induce. I cried. This is not how I had thought this would go at all. Especially after my birth experience with Charlotte. I fought hard and one of my nurses played mediator between my doctor and I while Kyle was on speakerphone. At this point, it was a safety concern for my health and for the baby's. So, with that, we started the Cervadil to start to induce labor, which before that even started, I was having some mild contractions.

Kyle got back to the hospital after dropping Charlotte off at her friend's house. Our friends the Crowells were seriously lifesavers in helping us with Charlotte. We are forever grateful of their help with her. Kyle brought back dinner and we just waited. My doctor had mentioned that the induction could take up to 3 days. Wow! Again, not what I planned. It got pretty late and it was just hard for me to sleep. I was so anxious and didn't know what was to come and then of course, in the back of my head I was just praying I wouldn't have to have a c-section. I was woken up all night by nurses and labs, but finally got a longer stretch of sleep around 2am.

Morning came and I couldn't wait to see my progress from the Cervadil. The contractions had continued, but nothing too painful. At 9am, the Cervadil had been in for 12 hours. It was time to check my progress. Well, I was completely disappointed to find out that the nurse couldn't even reach my cervix. So, we awaited my doctor to see what was next. While we waited, we watched Titanic from beginning to end (5 hours with commercials on TV). My lunch arrived and we were still awaiting my doctor and the next thing I knew, in walked my mom and sister! Wow, I was so surprised. They booked tickets the night before and flew out first thing in the morning. It was so great to see them and totally lifted my spirits. My doctor came and checked me and I was 1-2cm. So excited! Now, when I got to the hospital with Charlotte I was already 5cm, so you can see how different this labor was going.

Laboring and get ready for the big day!
At this point, we also got to switch rooms, which was also a wonderful thing. The room we were in didn't have a window and was super tiny. So we were very happy with the upgrade! We got all of our stuff moved over and realized it was probably time to get Charlotte from school. My mom, sister and Kyle left to go surprise her at school and I tried to get some rest. The Parkland School shooting was unfolding and all over the news. So sad. I had started feeling stronger contractions and the monitor was showing them between 2-5 minutes apart. I texted our doula, Krista, that maybe it was time for her to come up to the hospital. Shortly after that, my contractions literally stopped. It was so frustrating. She came and brought me a birth ball and hung out for a bit, then headed back home so we could both get some rest. Kyle returned to the hospital, we ate dinner, Facetime'd Char and just waited... I got checked again at 9pm, after another 12 hour round of Cervadil. I was just 2 cm dilated. I was so frustrated. I decided to get in the shower to refresh and relieve some of the pain. Then I bounced on the ball and Kyle and I walked the halls. Kyle was a great coach and helped with the contractions. We would stop at this world map on one of the walls and talk about places we've been to try and take my mind off of the contractions. Around 10:30pm, we decided to call Krista back up to the hospital. This allowed Kyle to get a short break while Krista kept me company and walked the halls with me. Once I would stop walking, the contractions would subside or get further apart. I was really tired at this point and something had to give. I was going on over 24 hours of not really sleeping. I don't recall the time, but I think it was 1am or 2am where I had a breakdown and my nurse, doctor and I decided it was time to start Pitocin, which for me, meant it was time to get an epidural. I hadn't had Pitocin before and really didn't want to have to experience it without some type of pain meds. At this point, my labor literally felt like a bad dream that just wouldn't end. The birth of our son just seemed SO far away.

The anesthesiologist came in and began to prep for my epidural. I was so nervous and just began to cry. He asked me if I wanted to get the epidural and of course I did, I was just a wreck. After prepping my back and placing the plastic wrap on my back, it was time. Thankfully, it was not as bad as I thought it would be and similar to my experience with Charlotte, except this time, it worked and my pain was relieved! I got a catheter and then the nurse and Kyle moved me onto my back and I tried to get comfortable and get some rest. This was challenging as the nurses and lab techs were constantly coming in to draw blood and check vitals. Kyle, Krista and I all got some rest and the next thing we knew it was morning and I was 5.5cm! Finally some progress!

My mom and sister came back up to the hospital and we just hung out and waited for progress, especially for my water to break. I was diagnosed with polyhdramnios ( high amniotic fluid) towards the end of my pregnancy which also meant weekly ultrasounds to look at the fluid. At my appt. on Tuesday, the AFI was finally down within normal range, but I was warned that when my water broke, it would be a lot! Around 11am, I started to prep for delivery! I freshened up, put on some makeup and brushed my hair. I was going on almost 12 hours of being in the bed and was getting a little bored. At this point, I also couldn't eat, but was able to have water. I was checked again and at 7cm. We talked about breaking my water, but needed my doctor so waited for him to get to the hospital. But, that wouldn't  be necessary because it broke on its own! My belly practically went flat! Yes, there was alot of fluid. My doctor arrived shortly after and this is where my labor started to take a turn. At this point I was 8-9 and almost ready to push, but Baby Hux had other plans. His heart started to decelerate with every contraction. Electrodes were placed inside of me and on his head to get a better reading of his heart. Then they put an oxygen max on me. I started to cry. I was so nervous. My doctor placed another set of electrodes on his head and after more decelerations determined that the cord must be wrapped around the baby's neck. He said let's wait for one more contraction, but I declined, I didn't want to wait any longer. The next thing I knew, they were wheeling me out for an emergency c-section.

Oxygen mask on, not sure what was happening at this point, but Hux's heart was beginning to drop.
The next few hours are such a blur. Kyle got suited up and I was taken into the OR. It was cold and bright and there were at least 20 people rushing around. They moved me to the table and put my arms out like a T. At this point, Hux's heart rate was down to 60. The same anesthesiologist came in who did my epidural. My OB pinched my stomach and asked if I could feel him doing that and I could. At this point, I'm pretty sure I was lifting my back/butt off the table because I was so scared and didn't want to feel them slicing me open. The anesthesiologist gave me more pain meds and my OB called for Kyle to come in. The next 3 minutes are some that I don't ever want to have to re-live and I will spare the details of what it felt like to get the baby out. One thing I will say is that his head was already engaged into the birth canal, which meant one of the nurses had to go inside to push his head back up the other way! I didn't feel it, but she told me that later. All was made better when we heard Hux crying. I could see absolutely nothing, but Kyle saw him being taken over to the warmer. He was OK!  Kyle went over to check on him and the process of sewing me back up started.


7lbs 2oz, the same weight as big sister Charlotte!
After a quick check, Kyle and a nurse brought the baby over to me. The blue drape was so far in my face there wasn't even a spot to put the baby on my chest. I saw his face and tried to kiss him and then they left and went into the nursery. We didn't even get a picture. Kyle said goodbye to me and planned to see me in about 20 minutes...but, my body had other plans.

As I laid on the table and felt them sewing me up, I remember asking one of the anesthesiologists how much longer it would be. He said about 15 minutes. He asked if I wanted something to relax. Yes, that would be great!  He put a nose cannula on me and gave me what I think was fentanyl. But, right before that, I threw up. Throwing up bile while on your back is really not fun. Thankfully I was able to turn my head and get it into a basin. I remember hearing the doctors and nurses ask if they got all of the placenta out and that is really the last thing I remember.

Hux was born at 3:29pm. Once I got the fentanyl, I don't remember anything until I woke up at 7:00pm in the PACU. The first thing I asked Kyle was, "Do I still have my uterus?".

So, what exactly happened? Well here is a recap of what happened during those 3.5 hours once I fell asleep. As they were stitching me back up, my uterus continued to bleed and would not contract, which is a condition known as uterine atony, which is likely related to the preeclampsia. At this point, my platelets were also running low so my blood was not clotting. I was re-opened and a D&C performed as a precaution to ensure there were no placenta parts left. Once you see my placenta, you will understand why. It was mangled and the cord was barely hanging on. Had I had a vaginal delivery, things could have gone very differently. I really believe that God intervened.

My placenta. Not anything how it is supposed to look, with the cord barely attached. 
I continued to bleed and lost 2000cc of blood volume, about half of my total blood volume. After two blood transfusions, things started to turn a corner. At this point I was intubated and under general anesthesia. I remember nothing. My uterus was still floppy and so a Bakri balloon was inserted into my uterus to stop the bleeding and I was finally closed back up.

Waking up in PACU, I was super groggy and delirious. During the time I was in surgery, my family cared for Hux. His first meal was a bottle of formula, I would have never guessed that would be how it went, but it did and he did great! They also weren't given much information about me at all. It was a very hard and difficult couple of hours for them. I really feel so lucky to still have my uterus and to be alive. My doctor and the team of nurses really saved my life. Once the surgery got complicated, there were 4 OBs and 2 anesthesiologists caring for me. I owe them everything.


Finally at 7:05pm, I got to hold my sweet baby Hux! My body could barely move, but he melted right into my body. Holding him instantly restored me. Kyle and I finally took our first picture with him. We were all ok.


I will continue the recovery in another post. I am truly so grateful for all of the prayers and support from friends and family from all over the world. In this huge mess of a situation, I am so grateful for everyone and everything.



3 comments :

  1. Wow. You and your family have been through so much. I thank God for protecting you through this event. Y'all have been in my prayers throughout this. Blessings on you and your family. Coop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes when Kyle told me they brought in a Hematologist I knew you were bleeding out. I couldn’t tell Kyle that though. I literally got on my knees and prayed to my God to save you please! The thought of Charlotte and Hux not having a mother and Kyle loosing his wife was absolutely devestating. I begged God to save you. The minutes seemed like hours! After all the return visits to the hospital I was just so afraid. Helpless, all I knew to do was pray for you Allison. My heart is so heavy with tears of gratitude as I pen this response. I will never doubt God’s love for his people and those who seek his face, How blessed we truly are, how fortunate are we to have you with us! Our God is an awesome amazing God!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're home now and doing better. What a scary delivery!!!

    ReplyDelete