Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Taking a Moment to Do Nothing

Life is crazy busy, especially when you add another human being into your family. I am a true busy body and it drives Kyle crazy. Our usual evening routine is walk or run around 5:30, feed Charlotte around 6:00, then I go up and do bath time and bed time routine while Kyle works on dinner! No, I don't force my husband to cook, he actually enjoys it and I am very grateful for that! I usually make the meal plan and then Kyle carries out the recipes! If he is lucky, sometimes I am his sous chef and will do all of the "not-so-fun" jobs like chopping and washing veggies! With a little one, you really have to divide and conquer! So, by the time Charlotte is down around 6:45/7:00, dinner is usually just about ready. So, we have dinner and then I tackle the million things that have been on my mind all day, to include emails, blogging, ordering things, surfing the web, sending thank you notes, doing bills, making photo books, ordering pictures, etc. There is always something to do!

Kyle and I just finished up season 3 of House of Cards. By the time we sat down in the evening, we would usually catch 1 or 2 episodes. Of course, I was usually on my computer, multi-tasking, working on something. Kyle really just wanted me to sit there and watch the show and do nothing else. But, as much as I tried, I really couldn't!

A couple weeks ago our pastor gave a sermon titled "Don't Just Do Something, Sit There". Yes, you read that correct! The entire sermon Kyle kept tapping my foot or squeezing my hand and in my mind I was thinking, wow, this is totally me! The sermon focused on the story of Mary and her sister Martha. Jesus and his disciples were coming to visit and so Martha slaved over a hot stove to prepare a fabulous meal for Jesus, while Mary sat in the living room with Jesus.

Luke 10:38-42
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he  came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Like many sermons at our church, this one spoke to me and I am trying to live this message out. It is not easy, but it is so important to have time where you "do nothing" and sit at the Lord's feet. This could mean many different things to many people. It could be meditation, prayer, exercise. A friend gave me a devotional book and journal last week and I am embarrassed to say that I finally made time this morning to start! I woke up early to journal and read my devotional. Baby steps!

Grab your morning coffee and breakfast and dive in!

Here is a link to the entire sermon if you are interested in watching!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg2rahGPwN8&feature=youtu.be

1 comment :

  1. Allison,

    I have the EXACT same vice! It is so, so hard for me to sit still and focus on just one thing, especially when that thing is TV and I could be doing so many other things at the same time. ;) I have started taking my devotional time in the early mornings before work when the house is quiet. Although, I do turn the Roomba on... how's that for multi-tasking? :) It's definitely important to take time to focus on what's important. I love that sermon! Do you happen to remember the verses? Also, if you're interested, the devotional a friend and I are working through together right now is called Savor: Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are. It's really good, one page a day for a year devotional. Quick but to the point, which I like. I think you'd enjoy it, too! I love reading your updates when I get the chance. Thanks for sharing this sermon!

    Pi love! :)
    Natalie

    Link to the devo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310344972/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0310344972&linkCode=as2&tag=oystandpear-20&linkId=FG6IRJWA4VIOZXQD

    ReplyDelete