Sunday, September 7, 2014

Stroller Warriors and the Tripler Fisher House Remembrance Run

When we moved out to Hawaii, I started looking for activities that I could do with Charlotte once she was born. I knew I wanted to be a part of a workout group that allowed children to come along. Back in Jacksonville, there was Stroller Strength, Stroller Strides, Mommy and Baby Yoga, etc. So, I knew there had to be options out in Hawaii too. I searched Facebook and stumbled upon a group called Stroller Warriors. I requested to join and was immediately welcomed into the group. I searched the site for the cost to join and was surprised when there wasn't a charge. I explained that I was pregnant and not planning on running until after I gave birth.

During the next few months, I only made it to a few workouts as I was working on the days we had workouts. Regardless, I began to get to know some of the girls in the group. Some were pregnant as well and we would band together and try to "walk our babies out". In April, the group had a Baby Shower for all the moms-to-be. I left that shower feeling so blessed. I barely knew these women and they were so kind to me and made me feel so welcome. Over the summer, the group took a break from the regular schedule but still has weekly meet ups. I attended a few towards the end of my pregnancy and the other moms were so encouraging and gave me confidence to know I could succeed in labor.

All the Mommas at the SW Baby Shower
After Charlotte was born, the group set up a meal train and we were blessed with so many wonderful meals during our first days as new parents! I was so moved by the overwhelming support.

Stroller Warriors is a military-focused club that was started by a military spouse in 2010. There are over 15 chapters worldwide ranging from Camp LeJeune all the way to Japan. Membership is open to males and females, spanning all ages, ranks and branches. Like I mentioned before, there is no cost to join and the workouts are led by military spouses who volunteer their time. This is not JUST a running club. Not only does the group have twice weekly workouts, but we also have Mom's Night Out and No Run Fun Days. I feel so lucky to be a part of this amazing group. You can read more about Stroller Warriors by visiting http://www.strollerwarriors.com/

Mumus and Mai Tais for Mom's Night Out


Stroller Warriors at our Tuesday Workout! Have you ever seen so many strollers?

On Saturday, Stroller Warriors had a team for the Tripler Fisher House Remembrance Run. We had over 156 runners! Our fearless leaders, Kate and Payge, coordinated a silent auction last month and the group raised $1014.00 for the Fisher House. Stroller Warriors had the honor of presenting this check to the director during the opening ceremonies.


Our group of runners!
Kate and Payge presenting the check to Fisher House
My running buddies! :)
As far as the race goes, I was nervous I wouldn't be able to finish. My longest race thus far was a 5K. Doubts took over my mind and I second-guessed myself. However, throughout the run, I felt motivated by the 7,000 plus boots that lined the race path. I was also motivated by the other Stroller Warriors who pushed through the race with their strollers, many with doubles!
Charlotte's First Race!
When we leave Hawaii, I will be devastated to leave this group. My hope is that wherever we go, there will be a chapter for me to join. If not, I may just have to start one up, that is just how much Stroller Warriors has impacted my life!


1 comment :